Validation of Prior Experience (VPE)
With VPE, skills and knowledge gained through prior studies and professional experience are recognized with a degree.
Any person, regardless of age, nationality, status or education level, who has at least one year of relevant experience directly related to the desired certification, is eligible for the VPE. This certification, which can be a degree, a title, or a professional qualification certificate, must be registered with the French National Directory of Professional Certificates (Répertoire national des certifications professionnelles).
You can find more information by going to the VPE website available only in french
In practice the VPE is:
- The possibility to partially or completely earn a degree without taking classes
- The opportunity to progress professionally or to earn a promotion
- A clarification and validation of personal skills
A process that requires a significant commitment of time and effort.
How to Obtain a VPE?
Information sessions and career advising are regularly organized at two different levels:
- By the career counselors from the Orientation and Information University Service (Service Universitaire d’Information et d’Orientation)
- By TSM administrators periodically for their different programmes
“VPE Application” Eligibility of a Candidate’s File – Phase 1
You can download the VPE application file on the TSM website or receive a paper copy from the Executive Education office on the TSM campus in office AF9.
In the application file, the candidate must explain in a detailed manner all the skills and knowledge gained during her or his experience that are applicable to the degree the candidate would like to obtain.
Once the file has been received, the VPE process is as follows:
- Check that the application is complete
- A professor will determine the pedagogical suitability of the application and possibly invite the candidate for an interview if there are certain parts of her or his application that need clarifying
Once this first phase is complete, the VPE officer will announce her or his judgment of the application, and then the Director of TSM will grant or refuse the registration of the candidate in the requested programme. At that time, a professor will be assigned to accompany the accepted candidate.
Individual Support – Preparing Documentation - Phase 2
During the individual support phase, an assigned professor will periodically work alongside the candidate to prepare a written synthesis englobing her or his experiences, abilities, and knowledge on the specific subject matter of the requested degree. The goal of this phase is for the assigned professor to assist the candidate in:
- Organising and analysing her or his experiences in order to best emphasise their pertinence to the requested degree’s syllabus
- Facilitating the writing of the synthesis
- Preparing the candidate for her or his defence in front of the VPE jury
Once the candidate’s application has been accepted, she or he will be summoned by the VPE jury to defend her or his written synthesis. During the defence before the VPE jury, the candidate must explicitly indicate the congruity of her or his abilities, experiences, and knowledge to the chosen degree and eventually answer the jury’s questions.
The jury will then decide to either:
- Validate entirely the candidate’s experience and thus grant the entire degree to the candidate
- Partially validate the candidate’s experience and recommend registering for certain regular or Executive Education TSM classes to compensate for the missing parts of the candidate’s experience
- Refuse to grant the entirety or a portion of the requested degree
The degree awarded upon validation of the VPE jury is identical to the degree awarded to students having successful passed university exams.
The President of the University will notify the candidate of the final decision.
For the 2017-2018 academic year, the VPE fees are identical regardless of the requested degree:
VPE Procedure Fee (€)
Phase 1 300
Phase 2 2,500
Phase 1 300
Phase 2 1,500
Partial Validation of Requested Degree:
If the candidate must take more than 50% of the degree classes 4,000€
If the candidate must take less than 50% of the degree classes 3,000€
Under certain circumstances the VPE can be financed through a professional sabbatical period granted by the FONGECIF or by Pôle Emploi for those candidates who are unemployed.
TSM VPE Correspondent
05 61 63 56 74